Saturday, January 29, 2011

Seeds!

This year, I plan on starting as much of the garden from seed as I can. Some of the benefits of starting from seed is being able to choose from a huge variety that usually isn't available in plant form at nurseries AND...you get to start gardening during the Winter months! I purchased the majority of my seeds yesterday from a few online retailers. I will also have some from one of the local nurseries. You may think it's too early to get seeds, but you don't want to risk your favorite variety selling out and you want to give yourself enough time to plan out when your seeds should be started indoors (unless, of course, they are direct sow seeds like beans and peas). Hopefully, you've already figured out your last frost date, because that will be important when following the directions on the seed packet. It will tell you how far in advance to begin the seeds indoors.

Three important items for growing seeds indoors: light, heat, and humidity. There are many indoor greenhouses, grow lights, and heating mats available. Some are a little pricey, but after the initial investment, you will use these products year after year. Once I start my seeds (around mid-March), I will post some pictures of my indoor set up.

So go start looking at seeds...most of the nurseries have them out now, or you can check the online retailers I posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment