Sunday, January 9, 2011

What's to come...

Today is January 9, 2011. There are approximately 125 days until the last frost in Fort Collins. Yes, it is far to early to start thinking about the (hopefully) bountiful harvest of 2011, but honestly, I've been thinking about it since I pulled up the last of the plants last season. That was my first attempt at gardening. It was a fairly successful garden, but oh, the things you learn along the way. Spacing. Companion planting. Weeds. Insects. Sunlight. Compost. Watering. Staking. Gardening has become my new passion. In just one season, I have discovered how enjoyable, relaxing, and rewarding gardening can be.

In a few months, I will be able to begin planting seeds indoors, something I attempted to do last year as well, but that ended up being a fail. I started too early, planted seeds that should have just been sown in the soil, and did not harden them off in the Spring (hardening off = gradually introducing young plants to the outdoor elements, as opposed to just putting them outside and shocking them to death.) Seeds that I hope to start indoors include: several types of tomatoes, one or two tomatillo plants, hot and sweet peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe.

This blog will be a way to help me track the beginning to the end of each season. It will (again, hopefully) contain tips, things I learn along the way, and lots of pictures. I'm a visual person. I like to see what things are supposed to look like. I'm sure there are many others that are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment